1. To promote and implement the strategic vision of the organisation as outlined by the General Manager and to operationalize the NZIS philosophy and core values.
2. To provide programme leadership ensuring that NZIS offers the highest quality education and training programmes that lead to positive employment or training outcomes and meet national and international standards.
3. To contribute to the academic strategies and be part of the wider curriculum delivery team for on-going improvement in all programmes.
4. Deliver some or all the following modules: community sport, recreation and exercise, event management, marketing, sponsorship, professional practice, strategic management, recreation and event management, strategic planning, communications, sport law, sociology of sport, sports administration, sport as a business, sport teaching and coaching, research methodology and sport in globalisation.
5. To ensure that academic quality and associated policies and processes meet the needs of NZIS, stakeholders, NZQA and TEC resulting in high levels of student satisfaction, excellent Educational Performance Indicators and a positive External Evaluation and Review outcomes.
6. To develop professionally and contribute to the overall success of NZIS as a member of the Academic delivery team.
Responsibilities and Measures
Primary Responsibility for:
Provide Course Leadership and Teaching Delivery
Ensure implementation of key NZIS philosophies and core values such as added value opportunities for students and innovation in the classroom Ensure NZIS policies and procedures are implemented
Monitor the academic progress of students.
- mentoring support to students and where appropriate bring concerns to the guidance and support networks
- monitoring attendance of students and follow up of any non attendance
- contact with students’ caregivers
- student adherence to NZIS rules and regulations To complete the follow up of labour market outcomes and training pathways for graduates.
Activities for students organised such as the Sports Exchange, camps, sports teams, trips etc
100% adherence to NZIS policies and procedures and QMS
All students monitored and where appropriate Individual Education Plans are developed (IEP’s)
Regular contact with parents and caregivers of students on the Sport Studies programme in particular Youth Guarantee
High levels of pastoral care provided
All students on the programme are tracked and recorded for destinational outcomes
Curriculum development and programme review
As part of the NZIS curriculum delivery team review courses taught
To ensure that the moderation and assessment procedures of the courses delivered are effectively carried out.
To be innovative in the delivery of courses taught and ensure NZIS is achieving its goals and objectives.
Ensure programmes are relevant, fit for purpose and reflect best practice teaching and learning.
Courses to be reviewed on a termly basis and qualifications to be reviewed on an annual basis.
Delivery and assessment plans are submitted as required by the Head of Faculty
Programme reviews are completed and a plan for action is submitted to the Academic Team for annual review.
Academic compliance requirements
In conjunction with the Head of Faculty, ensure all compliance requirements met for the programmes including literacy and numeracy requirements, course and qualification completions, retention and attendance, and travel allocations are met.
Ensure all academic programmes meet the requirements set by the NZ Qualifications Authority (NZQA) and other professional bodies including internal and external moderation.
Ensure qualifications and certificates are awarded and recorded appropriately through the student data management system including academic and attendance records.
Ensure Educational Performance Indicators are met in relation to TEC performance requirements
Ensure students are receiving accurate information
Compliance requirements met for Youth Guarantee if required
All results are confirmed using established academic and QMS process.
Ensure that all students have met the requirements of the programme, in accordance with the QMS prior to receiving the credits or award
Qualifications completions – 90%
Course completions – 90%
Graduate employment related outcomes or onto further training – 90%
Retention of students within NZIS programmes or onto higher level further study – 90%
Student satisfaction – 90% (as evidenced by student surveys)
Students are informed of regulations
Ensure that all teaching delivery is in accordance with all NZIS quality management systems
Deliver across NZIS programmes of study where required
Ensure relevant schemes of work for curriculum areas taught are developed and that learning activities are well planned. Formative and summative assessment plans are developed where necessary
Proficiency in teaching curriculum agreed to is demonstrated
Ensure students have a range of learning opportunities including but not limited to field trips, community health and wellness initiatives, practical and offsite activities
Develop and acquire teaching resources for the programmes. Provide levels of innovation in teaching programmes
NZIS QMS requirements met
Schemes of work including lesson plans and relief lesson plans are available
Participation in NZIS staff development and observations
Range of activities promoted, demonstrated and developed in conjunction with other academic staff.
Innovative teaching practices and resources are developed and incorporated in programme delivery
Provide “added value” experiences outside of the classroom, for students as part of their holistic development
Retain strong links with schools, industry bodies, and other community stakeholders
Remain up to date knowledge of trends, regulations and events in the sector
Provide student experiences that demonstrate greater and more sustainable employment opportunities, achievable by continuing studies.
Qualifications and Experience
• Relevant Industry Experience
• 3+ teaching experience in tertiary, vocational, polytechnic or university (Preferred)
• Bachelor’s degree in Management, Sport Management or related fields