Travel & Tourism Trainer (Queen St - Auckland City Campus) Apply Now
- Love the industry but feel like a change? Are you a friendly and energetic person with amazing customer service skills and strong attention to detail? If you are passionate about the travel, tourism & aviation industries then this could be the dream role for you. This role will see you inspire Tourism hopefuls from enrolment through to graduation.New Zealand School of Tourism is a leading training provider for the travel and tourism industry with campuses throughout New Zealand. We train people who want a career in travel, tourism, aviation, flight attending, hotels, conference & events and adventure tourism. We are a fun, innovative and successful organisation who are currently looking for a travel and tourism trainer to join our vibrant team in at our Queen Street - Auckland City campus.Our team are full of ambitious, positive, motivated, energetic, adaptable, & driven people who love to achieve success!The role involves facilitating learning using existing curriculum which is prepared for you - all you have to do is take your passion into the classroom and use the resources along with your experience to make the learning engaging and memorable for our industry's next group of new recruits!Our organisation is strong and ambitious. We are big on developing our people and having fun while we do it. We strive for success in everything we do with the strongest integrity. We ensure our team feels valued and informed about the direction we are heading in through in-house training days and our annual conference. This year we had 4 days in fabulous Fiji and we kick started 2016 with a conference here in Christchurch!Come and join our energetic team! No more late-nights or weekend shifts and plenty of time off over Xmas/New Year to enjoy the summer! We require a person that loves to work in an exciting and ever changing environment, if this sounds like you apply today!Full training and support is given to transition you into this role to provide an exciting learning environment for our young-adult learners from the time they enrol to graduation.To apply for this role, you will have a minimum of 5 years’ industry experience & 2 years experience at a supervisory level along with a Diploma or Degree in Tourism would be an advantage.Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
- New Zealand School of Tourism Limited
- Full Time from February 7th, 2017
- Reporting to: Campus Manager
Functional Relationships with: Head of Training
Duties and responsibilities:
There are six key performance areas for trainers. These are:
- Academic outcomes @ 85% minimum
- Delivering quality teaching in an accelerated environment
- Producing high levels of customer satisfaction
- To ensure all legal obligations and company policies are met
- Pastoral care of students is managed effectively
- Behaviour and team interaction is aligned to all 6 company values
Academic outcomes @ 85% minimum
- Measured through academic SQL report at end of course (for all classes they are responsible for)
- Maori and Pasifika outcomes meet current company expectations
- Complete and follow through on action plans when required to ensure overall class outcomes remain at a minimum of 85%
- Be a Class Trainer as and when required, meeting with the class to follow up on attendance, academic results and resits
- Facilitate subjects in travel, tourism, aviation & hospitality, as well as career information and self-development courses. If you have had a minimum of 5 years industry experience with at least 2 years supervisory experience, you will also facilitate diploma level programmes.
- Use accelerated learning techniques to motivate and encourage students using the material provided
- Facilitate to a high standard ensuring that you are achieving an average rating of 4 from the student evaluations
- Meet delivery times and requirements including being available to students 30 minutes before class is due to begin and after class finishes.
- Incorporate literacy & numeracy learning activities in all subjects
- Observations are completed on a regular basis as per company policy with action plans/follow up managed if required to ensure sign-off
- An average annual rating from Trainer Evaluations of 4 out of 5 (minimum) across all categories is required (minimum 75 students to evaluate)
- All training requirements are completed to a satisfactory level (signed off by HOT, CM or In-house Trainer)
- Required annual teaching days are met (180 teaching days per full-time equivalent trainer)
- Assessment of learning and facilitation is completed in line with government requirements
- Requirements for the Code of Practice for the pastoral care of international students are met
- Company policies in relevant manuals are adhered to
- Head of Training feedback on individual trainer-student meetings (called “Qtime”), classroom management and dealing with student issues
- All student evaluations on ‘class trainer’ categories have annual average of 3.8 minimum
- You may be required to escort a group away on educational trips.
- You may be involved in visiting schools or promotional activities, such as trade fairs, open days and expos which may involve time outside of office hours.
- You will also be required to:
- Assist in general administration duties when required
- Sell courses to potential students
- Maintain relevant up to date interest in the travel industry
- Attend conferences, staff meetings and training courses
- Attend all graduation ceremonies
- Be involved in the updating of courses, preparation of trainer resources, student material, and assessments if required
- Facilitate if required in other cities in New Zealand with occasional overnights. If there is a night course operating you will also be required to do some of this training.
- Be employment focussed with students at all times and support all employment initiatives of the business
- Mark approximately 100 assessment papers for our secondary school partners (starting in your second year of employment)
- Any other duties as directed by the Campus Manager
Support the values of the organisation:
- Act Positively
- Drive Innovation
- Pursue Excellence
- Have Fun
- Demonstrate Integrity
- Develop People
$53,040 p.a Salary reviews take place through the Professional Development Plan
Experience and Qualifications
Specific industry experience may vary depending on regional or curriculum needs at the time. Minimum two years in a supervisory role is favourable as part of this experience.
It is also a requirement to hold an adult teaching qualification such as the National Certificate in Adult Teaching Level 4. Trainers without this qualification (or equivalent) will be enrolled in this qualification and we will work with you to achieve this. All of the training for the L4 National Certificate is done in-house, with some assignments to complete outside of work hours.
We run an in-house training course which we believe is one of the best in the country. This combined with sitting in and observing other trainers, will give you the skills to be confident in facilitating.
As part of our commitment to on-going training you will be provided with a Professional Development Plan that allows you the opportunity to develop key skills and gain travel and educational qualifications.
Remuneration is linked to the achievement of the Professional Development Plan steps, allowing you the opportunity to be rewarded for your effort and achievement.